Thursday 4 February 2010

Valuable Skills.

Having just completed a four week work placement with a PR agency, and with another week to go until my lectures begin at university, and the fact that I sprained my ankle on Saturday night and have been laid up in bed ever since, now is the perfect time for me to reflect on my time working in a PR environment.

Before embarking on an MA in PR in October, I was a complete stranger to this field, other than what I had read on the net, in the papers, seen on the TV etc. It was hard to know what to expect really, would what I had been learning on my course match up to how public relations is really practiced? Well I was pleased to learn that, yes, it was.

So Many times during my work placement I was able to link things that were being practiced back to what I had learnt on my course, like the importance of social media how to use it effectively for each brand, knowing your target audience and refining key messages for different audiences. PR writing, and just how important it is. I was given a few opportunities to write press releases, and copy for brochures or the website. This is probably the area that I would like to improve on most, and I know that I will get better over time, I just need to practice at any opportunity I can. I did find it a struggle if I’m honest, as this is one of my weaker areas and I wasn’t very confident, you also need to know the agency’s style, as each different agency will have their own individual style. It is massively important to know who will be reading the copy you produce too, is it for on-trade, off-trade, intellectuals? I have learnt the importance of tailoring your writing to the specific needs of your target audience.

I would say one of my most valuable learning curves during my work experience was how to manage my time effectively, which is essential in the PR industry. The four weeks that I was there my schedule was always jam-packed, and I was working to very tight deadlines, I quickly learnt that in the world of PR while it is essential to have a schedule, it is almost impossible to stick to it. Tasks run over, things take longer than expected and there are almost certainly tasks that pop up that will take priority over others that you have scheduled in.

I think before my work placement, I thought that time management was one of my strengths, but it soon became clear that this wasn’t the case. I would get stressed and panic when my schedule got out of control and didn’t really know how to cope. By the end of the four weeks, I had done a complete u-turn, I have learmt how to prioritise, to keep calm, not get stressed and set realistic and achievable goals.

This improved skill I now have in time management is already helping me in my day to day life, and especially in my Uni life, and is just one of many new skills I can add to my PR tool-kit. The work I carried out during my work placement was invaluable, and I look forward to the future, to my knowledge and skills in PR developing even more.

2 comments:

  1. Like you Sarah, my work placement was invaluable. Considering that I was an amateur in the PR field when I first started, I believe that I have come a long way in a short space of time. It was all good learning about the background and dynamics of the subject, but only when you experience working at a PR company/department are you able to put what you have learnt into context and come on leaps and bounds.

    In terms of writing, it could be very frustrating having to rewrite news/press releases over and over again until you had got it right. But like you said, practice makes perfect and over time you will become accustomed to delivering your message to your target audience.

    Time management was never a major issue whilst I was on my placement, as I like to think I keep cool and calm under pressure. But there were occasions when so many different things were piling up, that I did get stressed out by it all, but you learn to prioritise your schedule and be realistic in objectives. My work placement has been an experience that I can reflect on as an essential stepping stone into the PR industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my placement time manaagement was a manjor issue, along with organisation. I was regularly given many tasks, which is had to complete. I would rank them in importance and tak it from there. however, like yourself i found that many tasks over run, or delays occur, such as rewriting press releases, carrying out research for clients. I did find the work we learnt in class extremelty valuable, and often found myself relating information from class at work.

    ReplyDelete